1. About cookies
A cookie is a file containing an identifier (a string of letters and numbers) that is sent by a web server to your web browser and is stored by your browser. The identifier is then sent back to the server when the browser requests a page from the server.
Cookies may be either “persistent” or “session” cookies: a persistent cookie will remain valid until its set expiry date unless deleted by the user beforehand; a session cookie will expire at the end of the user session, when the web browser is closed. The majority of the cookies we use are session cookies.
2. Cookies that we use
- authentication – cookies identify you when as a member you visit our website and access your membership dashboard and other members’ areas;
- status – cookies enable us to determine if you are logged into our website;
- personalisation – cookies store information about your preferences and we use that information to personalise the website for you;
- security – cookies are an element of the security measures used to protect your account, including preventing fraudulent use of your login credentials, and to protect our website and services generally; and
- analysis – cookies help us analyse the use and performance of our website and services.
We don’t set cookies for advertising purposes.
3. Cookies used by our service providers
We use Google Analytics to analyse the use of our website. Google Analytics gathers information about website use by means of cookies. The information gathered relating to our website is used to create reports about the use of our website.
Detailed cookie information
|_gid||Used to distinguish users||24 hours|
|_gat||Used to throttle request rate. If Google Analytics is deployed via Google Tag Manager, this cookie will be named _dc_gtm_<property-id>.||1 minute|
|To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites, visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.|
4. Managing cookies
Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies and to delete cookies. The methods for doing so vary from browser to browser, and from version to version. You can however obtain up-to-date information about blocking and deleting cookies via these links:
- Chrome – https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en;
- Edge – https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10-microsoft-edge-and-privacy;
- Firefox – https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences;
- Internet Explorer – https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies;
- Opera – http://www.opera.com/help/tutorials/security/cookies/; and
- Safari – https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21411.
To find information relating to other browsers, visit the browser developer’s website.
Blocking all cookies will have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites and you will not be able to use all the features on our website.
We will review this policy regularly, so please check back from time to time to ensure you are still happy with it.